Dramatic news about the news often leaked into the news aggression of dogs towards children. Family tragedies that traumatize many people and increase fears towards the four-legged. Experts remind that children and dogs can have an unbreakable bond and become best friends, but they need to be controlled. Here is a small list of why dogs tend to attack children and precautions to be taken.
The smell of children
According to experts, children have a very strong smell for dogs that are very sensitive to odors and an unusual scent could attack their sense of smell. Experts recall that dogs have over 300 million olfactory receptors compared to 6 million human receptors.
Also with regards to sounds, dogs are much more sensitive to high-pitched sounds and have a frequency reception between 40 to 60 thousand Hz while humans perceive them between 20 and 20 thousand HZ. THE high-pitched sounds and loud noises how a child’s cries could excite dogs.
“It is possible that a dog misinterprets these sounds, thinking that they are prey and that those screams can excite them,” explain some experts.
Strange behavior of children
In nature dogs tend to don’t look into your eyes as it is a provocation and a challenge for domination. For their part, infants often have an immobile gaze and do not frequently close their eyelids. This element can be misunderstood by the dog who could interpret it as a affront. In short, the quality of a child’s gaze, resulting unfamiliar to the dog, would encourage aggression.
The behavior of a child around the dog is one of the most common factors that triggers aggression. Both the dog and the child could misunderstand each other. According to a psychologist, the unpredictable movement is sudden children, accompanied by screams and raised arms, can be elements that frighten the dog. It is necessary to teach dogs to live with children and to be calm with them, just as it is important to teach children to interact with the dog.
Unusual elements and sudden movements
There are characteristics in children that, for a dog who has not had many contacts with them, they may seem strange. Smells, noise and movement of children can be abnormal. These are elements that intrigue the animal as well as children USA the mouth to discover things.
When the dog confronts a novelty, he tends to grab it or pick it up with his mouth and if it escapes from his mouth, he tends to pick it up again and to shake it. That’s why if the dog likes to play with that object and gets a good response from this action, he will do it again. This is a way of interaction of the dog with which the animal could harm the child.
Jealousy or hierarchy
Scientists tend to dismiss the hypothesis that dogs try it jealousy like humans and much research in this regard would prove otherwise. Rather, for experts, the feeling experienced by the animal could come close to “wanting” the same treatment as the child. Depending on the dog’s level of consciousness, this is in any case unlikely to cause a will in the dog to injure the child. Otherwise, the animal is more likely to respond to a type of hierarchical organization in the family for which the changes could result in him a different behavior is unexpected.
Dogs and children: precautions
– According to the data of the dog organizations, some breeds are more predisposed to attack children. However, a list of dangerous dogs in this regard has not yet been drafted.
– Anyway, experts remember that every type of dog it could be one possible threat for the child and therefore no dog should be left alone with a child under the age of 8.
– Children must learn to approach to the animal and interact with it. Avoid that the child, for example, pulls the tail of the dog or does other things that could trigger aggression in the dog. The dog should not be used as a toy by the child.
– It is important to teach children that dogs have need their spaces and that they shouldn’t be bothered while they sleep or eat or if the dog is sick.
– The child must also learn to understand and observe the dog language when he doesn’t want to play.
– The children they must not be afraid of the dog. So never scare a child in front of a dog, perhaps at a friend’s house. Normally the dog reacts to fear and if the child screams and runs away it could provoke the dog’s predatory instinct.
– As a consequence, avoid taking children in your arms when approaching a dog that may be even more intrigued by the child.
– Make dogs socialize from puppies with children, so that dogs also learn to interact and get to know children by playing.
– Recognize the fear and the fear in the dog. The dog often attacks by fear.
– Finally, it is necessary to respect the signals that the dog sends to people before biting.