Cats are routine animals and will always make their needs in their sandbox, unless something in their environment changes or presents a health problem. If a cat does not use his litter box, there is a reason, and it may be necessary to go to the veterinarian.
Why doesn’t a cat use its litter box?
Cats are very meticulous animals with their hygieneThey dedicate a lot of time to grooming, they are strict with the place where they drink and where they do their needs. If a cat stops using the sandbox persistently, the cause must be found, because acting quickly can be the key if it is a health problem.
- Marking It is a behavior influenced by the effect of sex hormones. Sometimes, marking can be a symptom of stress; It is common for the cat to do it in a place that smells like the owner, such as the bed. Sterilization reduces urine marking and associated aggressiveness problems by more than 90%.
- Little accessible sandpit. The type, place and shape of the sandbox is important, as well as the sand we choose for our cat.
- Dirty sandpit. It is important that the sandbox is clean, free of feces and dry for the cat to use again.
- Competition with other cats. If several cats live in your home, there must be sufficient resources to avoid competition for them. Bullying by another cat can be a reason why a cat does not use its litter box.
- Diseases. Urinary tract disease can be the cause for the cat to urinate out of its tray. This is a frequent problem in cats and can cause pain to the animal; Detecting it in time can be vital.
- Stress. Stress can change the cat’s habits, as well as changing the site tray, the absence of the owner, a change in the home or the presence of another cat.
What can we do for a cat that doesn’t use its litter box?
Buy the right tray
The sandbox should be low, easily accessible and be in a place away from food and bed. Open is more comfortable, but many cats prefer to use a closed sandbox with a door. It should not be very deep: with about five centimeters of sand it is enough.
The sand must be changed periodically and the feces have to be collected daily. The type of sand is also important: the most advisable is the non-scented and binder sand, which is made a ball when moistened with urine, which facilitates cleaning and prevents particles in the air when the cat removes the sand.
Go to the vet
Improper disposal is different from marking. In the first, the animal urinates and defecates outside the right place, but does not do so by marking territory and, normally, they are complete urination. In this case you have to go to the vet to rule out a possible pathology such as cystitis or urinary tract disease.
Painful urination can cause the cat to dislike the tray. Other health problems or old age are also related to improper elimination.
As many trays as cats there are more one
If there is more than one cat at home, the number of sandboxes must be equal to the total number of cats plus one. The same can be done with other objects such as beds, scrapers, toys, feeders …
In almost all cases the problem is corrected with a good choice of number, place, type of sandbox and sand. The distribution of resources reduces stress, but if this is caused by other causes it is necessary to discover what causes it. Artificial pheromones can help reduce stress; They are very effective in cats.
Putting a hygienic tray on your cat may seem very simple, but if you don’t consider a series of tips, your cat may not use it. Read more “