A place in the city that had been inaugurated in the distant 1870, destined for the slaughter of animals, has become a reception facility for abandoned and distressed animals. The same place, therefore, but with two completely opposite functions. The facility was inaugurated in July 2019 and has since hosted several animals. The slaughterhouse was originally designed by Andrea Poggi in 1865 and inaugurated in 1870, when Florence was still the capital of the Kingdom of Italy. When, in 1989, the slaughterhouse was replaced with that of Novoli, the building remained abandoned. Today the monumental building he came back to life with another function.
The former slaughterhouse therefore becomes a new home for stray dogs from Florence. The initiative, in fact, has already taken hold for some time and ensures dogs, cats, rabbits (but also other wild animals) the necessary care to get back on their feet. A hospital that aims to rehabilitate all those animals that have been exploited before and abandoned afterwards.
Inside the structure there are an outpatient clinic, a surgical room and two hospital rooms for the care of abandoned, stray and wild pets. A requested service, in a city with 350 thousand citizens such as Florence, where there are 33,000 dogs regularly registered in the registry. The good news is that the hospital manages to find a family of 98% of the dogs rescued from the street.