The Syrian hamster is a breed of hamsters that was revived in the middle of the 20th century. Now, these animals have become the favorite animals of all rodent lovers. This is explained not only by the golden and beautiful coat color of the hamster but also by its light and cheerful character. It is very easy to keep a Syrian hamster, however, despite this, your fat-haired pet will still have to pay attention and free time so that it will stop being afraid of you and will get used to you as the owner. When caring for this cute animal, you must always remember what natural conditions he is used to being.
General description of the Syrian hamster breed
Outwardly, these funny creatures resemble a small woolen ball of golden color. If desired, you can buy a beast with the most interesting color, but many buyers, on the contrary, are more impressed with the natural shade of wool. The Syrian hamster reaches a length of up to 13 cm: the body of the animal is stocky, but the legs of the animal themselves are short. Hamster ears of medium length, while they end in a rounded shape. The muzzle of the animal is also round, mainly due to podschechnye bags, which from time to time stuffed with a variety of tackle.
Keeping a Syrian hamster is very easy, but in spite of this, your pet will still have to pay attention and free time.
The tail of the Syrian hamster is so short that it is not visible behind the long hair. The belly of the animal has a white color. In long-haired individuals, the wool can be so long that it can be dragged along behind a hamster by a thick woolen train. The eyes of the rodent are like large black beads. Syrian hamsters can observe such an interesting peculiarity: it has five fingers on its hind legs, and four fingers on its front paws. However, in the process of observing the animal you can see that it also has a fifth finger, only it took the form of a rudiment.
When purchasing a Syrian, you must remember that this animal is active nocturnal. Up until the early evening, the animal can sleep peacefully in its mink house, and later it begins to spin in the wheel literally without a break and gnaw the cage bars throughout the night. Therefore, if you do not want to put up with the similar habits of the animal, then you better consider the option with any day-old animal. With proper care, a Syrian lives on average up to three years. The ability to reproduce them appears from 1.5 months.
The main habitats of this breed of rodents are in the following territories:
- in Turkey;
- in Iran;
- in the Balkans;
- in Front Asia.
Syrian hamsters live mostly singly in dug minks. They prefer more steppes, plains and fields. Because of this, rodents have absolutely no sense of heights, so at home it is necessary to strictly ensure that the hamster is not on high objects.
How to choose a hamster
First of all, we recommend purchasing Syrians in special nurseries. It is here that you will be able not only to submit all the necessary documents about the rodent (including its pedigree), but also to advise you on the conditions of detention and care for the fur. In the pet store, sellers do not look after the animals properly, therefore, in these institutions, the risk of buying an already sick individual increases significantly.
There are some signs that distinguish a healthy Syrian hamster from a patient (with hidden infections it may not work):
- clear eyes without turbidity;
- dry and shiny coat;
- active lifestyle;
- dry tail (it becomes wet mainly when the animal has loose stools).
Many buyers are concerned about the question of how to determine the sex of the Syrian hamster, because many sellers from pet stores rarely divide rodents by gender.
To successfully establish the sex of the animal should carefully consider the hamster:
- males have longer hair than females, it is good if there are individuals of different sexes in the store for comparison, and male males feel smoother to the touch than females;
- The anal and urethral openings in females are much closer compared to males, and in the latter, the testicles can often be seen, even if they are at rest.
Care and maintenance of Syrian hamsters
If you have already decided to start a cheerful Syrian, then first buy a suitable cage for him. Its optimal size should be 40 by 60 cm, with a plastic pallet (not wooden!) And with metal rods. Of course, if you wish, you can purchase a more spacious home for your pet.
In order for a rodent to be healthy, it is necessary to do general cleaning in its cage once a week.
But, despite your final choice, the following essential things must be present in the hamster cage:
- litter, it is placed under the bottom of the cage and acts as an absorber of all unpleasant odors emitted by rodents; in no case should you use a cat litter, a newspaper or a rag as a toilet; (for example, for chinchillas) in the form of pressed sawdust;
- a wheel with a solid bottom, as well as with transverse protrusions, it should be selected for a specific individual;
- Laz, their role can be played by various branches, roots and tubules;
- the drinking bowl, the Syrian hamster does not absorb too much water, so the average capacity of the tank is about 50 ml, the water should always be fresh and at room temperature;
- house, it is better to acquire those homes that the animal can not move independently, for these purposes special minks are sold for hamsters attached to the cage walls;
- feeding trough, as is the case with the wheel, this household belonging to your pet should be selected based on their size of the Syrian hamster, the width of the trough can reach 10 cm
In order for your rodent to be healthy, you need to do spring cleaning in its cage, including its inventory and iron bars, once a week. Everything must be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized with ordinary soap or baking soda. Be sure to clean the food in the hamster’s house, which he hides in reserve, as it may already be spoiled. So that later your pet does not panic when it does not find its “nest egg”, before putting it into a clean dwelling, put a new batch of food in its feeder.
The Syrian hamster is by nature a very shy creature: he can suffer shock or stress for the usual reasons, according to the owner:
- the appearance of a neighbor in the cage of an animal, this breed does not belong to the gregarious rodents, so they often fight with each other, conquering their territory, even the females after mating prefer to live separately from the male;
- a trip from a pet store to a new home, at the time of movement, the animals can be huddled in a corner and not protrude from it, even after arriving at the place, after the hamster is in his new house, he is at first at a loss and sometimes rushes from corner to a corner, plaintively food, but after some time, this shock will pass, and the fluffy newcomer will begin to intensively build up his home;
- sleep disturbance, it is better to put a cage with a small animal in a room where there is little noise and no drafts;
- changing cell location.
The main diet of the Syrian hamster – ready food. It is better to choose expensive feeds that are as balanced as possible and incorporate not only a variety of cereals, but also dried vegetables and fruits. You can diversify your pet’s nutrition with the help of juicy and fresh grass.
The main diet of the Syrian hamster – ready food. It is better to choose expensive feed, which have a balanced composition.
From solid feeds of this hamster breed, the following products can be given in moderate quantities:
The list of prohibited products is present:
- sunflower seeds (fried);
- bread crumb (they can choke on them in a dream if they are not pulled out in time because of cheeks);
- any oils;
- fish fat;
- chocolate products kefir.
In rare cases, it is allowed to give milk, and only in small quantities. You should not overfeed Syrian, otherwise it threatens him with obesity. The optimal feeding regimen is 2 times per day.