From the age of 12, cats are considered senior citizens. Signs associated with aging may appear: they spend more time sleeping, they are more reluctant to move around, they can suffer from health problems, particularly in the kidneys, etc. It is possible to prevent the aging of cats by paying attention to many things from an early age such as their health, their behavior or their living environment.
In older animals, there are many signs that show that the animal unfortunately begins to age such as:
- deterioration in health: health problems are encountered in many older cats. Among these affections one finds for example osteoarthritis responsible for joint pains. Arthritis cats are more reluctant to move around, they can have difficulty getting into their litter box, they can also refuse to be petted if they are painful … Elderly cats also often suffer from chronic renal failure. We must be vigilant about any weight loss (weight loss can be a sign of call) and the water consumption of the animal.
- a change in behavior: older cats can start to meow excessively, they can also wake up at night, make their needs out of the litter box… Faced with a change in behavior, you have to wonder if it is a behavioral problem related to aging or a health problem
- an alteration in the quality of the coat: this may be due to a health problem, to an animal that grows less, etc.
- decreased vision and hearing
- oral problems and difficulty eating
- claws too long: be careful to look at the length of the claws of older cats because they tend to make their claws less. Too long claws can injure the pads and this is very painful for the animal.
- etc …
Regular visits to the veterinarian
It is advisable to carry out a checkup annually to a veterinarian until the age of 12 and then to make visits every 6 months for cats over 12 years old.
These visits are very important, for several reasons:
- the veterinarian will examine your cat to check its health. A blood test is recommended every year after the age of 8 to check the functioning of the kidneys in particular. This will allow you to identify a possible health problem early and to set up treatment quickly.
- the veterinarian will be able to advise you best on his diet, his behavior, the care to be taken… to keep your cat in top shape.
To ensure good health as healthy as possible, it is advisable to sterilize cats from an early age. This avoids or reduces the risk of certain health problems such as breast tumors, uterine infections, etc.
We must also think about vermifuger regularly his animal and the treat against parasites External.
Finally, it is recommended to vaccinate cats as young as 8 weeks old can protect them from serious infectious diseases. It is advisable to continue vaccinating older cats so that they remain effectively protected against these diseases. Do not hesitate to read our cat vaccination sheet for more information.
Quality food in the right quantity
It is recommended to feed cats with a mixed diet (kibbles and food) of quality suitable for the age of the cat: this is called bi-nutrition.
Bi-nutrition is recommended to keep your pet in top shape for as long as possible. Indeed, the mash being rich in water, they dilute the urine and limit the risk of affections of the urinary tract. They also improve the satiety of the animal and participate in maintaining a healthy weight. Obesity is harmful to animal health, especially for the joints, maintaining an ideal weight is essential.
With a suitable diet distributed in adequate quantity, your cat will have a beautiful coat, good transit, good development of its muscle mass …
As they age, animals may have difficulty chewing their kibble. One solution is tomoisten the croquettes to facilitate their chewing but also to reveal their taste. To do this, add warm water to the kibble ration and wait a few minutes for the kibbles to swell and the mixture to cool.
Well-chosen food supplements
There are food supplements specially designed for older cats that support general metabolism and slow cell aging. It can be very useful to make cures for senior cats.
A dietary supplement for the skin and coat can also be useful, combined with regular brushing.
Many other types of food supplements are available and to be given according to the advice of the attending veterinarian: to support the joints, to slow down the senescence of the lens, etc.
Caring for your cat on a daily basis is one of the keys to longevity. Pay special attention to it having a good oral hygiene from the youngest age.
In fact, the formation of tartar in cats can cause many problems: dental pain, difficulty eating, spread of bacteria to other organs …
A suitable living environment and owners available!
It is important to provide an adequate living environment for the animal so that it has a balanced behavior and that it is in good shape as long as possible.
This is especially true for cats living in apartments, whose living environment is poor in stimuli compared to the outside environment. Cats with the possibility of going out generally have a good physical condition, they are busy hunting for several hours a day and exploring their environment.
In apartments, cats must have available all that is necessary to meet their needs : games, cat trees, scratching posts, etc.
Arrangements may be necessary for elderly animals, to improve their daily life: make sure that the edges of the litter box are not too high, install a very comfortable memory bed …
The owners are finally a real support for the animal. They also guarantee the success of a treatment, its good health by monitoring it daily, etc.
More and more connected objects are being developed for pets. They are a source of valuable information about their health and behavior. These connected objects are likely to be of great help in the future to prevent aging of animals.