Rabbit Diarrhea – Novice rabbit breeders can become confused in the event of signs of indigestion in animals. Treatment, started late, can cause the death of the animal. And the topic of the article is diarrhea in rabbits, the cause and treatment.
Pay attention Crop Force – a new generation of natural bio-fertilizer! Increases the yield of fruits and vegetables by 50%! Accelerates fruit ripening! Strengthens the natural immunity of plants! Order Crop Force Bio-Fertilizer …
Causes of diarrhea in rabbits
It is believed that diarrhea in herbivores is a frequent occurrence. Indeed, animals have a gentle digestive system, which often reacts in a similar way to the introduction of new products. However, diarrhea is very dangerous for pets, if delayed with treatment, the animal may die.
- Errors in the preparation of the diet. Feeding products containing a large amount of sugar: bread, biscuits and fruit. Also, an excess of succulent fodder and a lack of hay lead to indigestion.
- Obesity. Excess weight makes it difficult to lick the rabbit. The animal can not reach the anus for the procedure.
- Diseases of the joints also make it difficult to keep a pet clean, feces smeared over the fur, and then enters the body.
- Substandard products. Wet vegetables, spoiled, moldy food can kill an animal.
- The lack of a clear diet.
- Stress. Rabbits are very sensitive to changes in the environment and diet. Changes in the host can also cause diarrhea.
- Abnormal tooth growth.
- Failure of the genitourinary system.
- Violation of sanitary standards and late cell cleaning. Dried or soured pieces of food cause indigestion.
- Food ingestion of harmful plants.
- Viral or bacterial infection.
- Allergy to drugs.
Note! Rabbit diarrhea can occur during weaning. An animal may not adapt well to changing conditions and refusing milk, which used to regulate the level of acidity in the intestines. Also, the introduction of new products often causes diarrhea.
Experts do not recommend purchasing ornamental rabbits younger than 8 weeks, since before this period, diarrhea is a frequent phenomenon in young animals.
What should be a normal chair
Most often, ornamental animals are kept in the home. During diarrhea, they lose the ability to self-control and begin to defecate outside the latrine. Often this happens involuntarily during sleep. The classic form of feces – in the form of peas or bunches of grapes. During diarrhea, the stool is soft or watery. It is important to pay attention not only to the consistency of feces, but also to its color. An unusual shade, presence of mucus and a strong pungent odor may indicate the presence of diseases.
Note! The night chair of rabbits has a softer texture, which is why inexperienced rabbit breeders can take it for diarrhea.
Rabbits beckoned: what to do
If the rabbits are bruised, you need to take action immediately. It is important not only to correctly determine the cause of diarrhea, but also to protect other pets from this disorder. First you need to carefully consider the feces, so it is important to learn how to distinguish soft night stools from diarrhea. After there are no doubts in the indigestion, it is worth taking the following actions:
- remove from the cell all that is unnecessary, leaving only the litter and water;
- wash the pet’s ass and dry it;
- to treat and disinfect the animal’s cage;
- place a clean cotton cloth or disposable napkins;
- give the animal a decoction of herbs or a drug against diarrhea;
- monitor the temperature of the body, with diarrhea, the animal may be cold;
- put a heating pad or turn on a light bulb for heating;
- water the rabbit to prevent dehydration.
Important! An accurate diagnosis cannot be made independently at home. The veterinarian should examine the condition of the animal and prescribe a comprehensive therapy. Improper treatment can lead to the death of a pet.
The veterinary first-aid kit of the owner of the ornamental rabbit must contain: gloves, heating pad, saline, syringe, pharmaceutical collection of chamomile, silverweed, oak bark, activated carbon, disposable diapers.
Diarrhea in the rabbit: how to treat
Well proved to be in the treatment of herbivores folk remedies. Experts recommend giving them if the animal has begun to vilify because of improper diet or stress.
- Potentilla decoction: 1 tbsp. a spoon of dry grass is brewed in 250 ml of boiling water. As soon as the composition has cooled, 1 teaspoon is poured into the mouth of the animal with a syringe, from which the needle is pre-removed.
- Broth of a camomile pharmaceutical. The color of the drink should be light yellow. With bloating and diarrhea, decoction is given in 1 tbsp spoon 3 times a day. The course of treatment is 10 days.
- Activated carbon: 1/4 tablet diluted in 5 tbsp. spoons of boiled water. Then the rabbit otpaivat decoction of chamomile. Tablets are used as a last resort.
- Broth oak bark can be added to fresh drinking water to prevent dehydration of the pet.
- Mint tea.Baytril
Effective veterinary drugs:
- Baytril: 0.2 ml diluted in 1 ml of saline and injected into the withers. The dose is designed for individuals weighing 2 kg. Injections should be done 3 times a day.
- Linex: 0.5 capsules give 2 times a day.
Rabbits diarrhea and die, what to do? It is important to determine the cause of diarrhea, perhaps pets caught infection.
- With coccidiosis, the pet has disheveled hair, bloating, and the eyelids turn yellow. Sulfadimethoxine or norsulfazole is prescribed at 0.2 g per 1 kg of pet.
- Infectious stomatitis is characterized by the appearance of ulcers on the tongue and abundant salivation. Copper vitriol can be cured of the disease: the whole oral cavity is treated with a 2% solution.
- During the transfer of paratyphoid, the animal loses its appetite, becomes sluggish, and its hair is disheveled. Furazolid is given to a pet: 30 mg per 1 kg of weight by a weekly course.
- With strong bloating, experts recommend espumizan: 1 ml per 7 kg pet’s weight.
Note! Do nursing rabbit diarrhea, what to do? If a female has loose stools after giving birth, her diet should be reviewed. Hay must dominate in the diet of a nursing rabbit. It is necessary to completely eliminate cabbage, crackers and reduce the number of succulent fodder.
Special diet for rabbits with diarrhea
Liquid stools in the rabbit is the basis for the appointment of a special diet. The owner must provide the pet with high-quality fresh hay and ensure that the animal always has access to clean water. You can add anthelmintic drugs to the drinker Juicy food, fatty and protein foods, bread, flour, foods with low fiber content are excluded from the diet. In the diet should prevail oats and animal feed, rich in nutrients. Also it is necessary to abandon the use of store chemical foods, as the food during this period should be as close to nutrition in natural conditions. Experts recommend giving pet knitting herbs: yarrow, wormwood and burdock.
If the animal refuses to drink, it is highly likely that it will die from dehydration. In this case, you need to feed the pet by force from a disposable syringe. You can also make a shot of saline or ringer’s solution: 10-12 ml per 1 kg of weight. Injections do 2-4 times a day.
In case of refusal to eat, the herbivore is given an injection of 5% glucose with saline from a 1: 1 ratio.
After suffering the disease, the stomach of rabbits is very weak. To protect the pet from recurring cases of diarrhea, preventive measures are needed:
- conduct therapy against worms;
- for normalization of intestinal microflora, baycox is given (1 tsp is diluted in 1 l of water). The solution is given instead of drinking water, the drink needs to be changed every 48 hours;
- reduce or eliminate cereals and fruits from the diet;
- monitor the quality of hay, greens and other products;
- new products to add in small quantities;
- clean the rabbit cage regularly and replace the water;
- vaccinate animals for diseases;
- protect your pet from stressful situations.
- Hay for rabbits
Experienced breeders know that it is much better to prevent diarrhea than to treat it. Therefore, it is important not to neglect preventive measures, sanitary norms, regularly change the water and clean the cage. Nutrition also plays a special role in the health of herbivores. Due to substandard products, rabbits may die. An excess of succulent or sugar-containing feeds often leads to indigestion. If the animal is worn out, you need to determine why this is happening and start treatment immediately. After elimination of the problem, the animal is transferred to a special sparing diet. The health and life of the rabbit depend on how the host will take care of it.