Connect with us

Is seawater dangerous for dogs?

Is seawater dangerous for dogs? - My animals


Is seawater dangerous for dogs?

The trips to the beach with the dogs can pose a risk of intoxication, since the frequent intake of sand adds to the dangers of sea water. Therefore, controlling the animal at all times will be necessary if they want to avoid annoying gastrointestinal disorders.

The trips to the beach with the dogs are usually very attractive, especially if they are done occasionally. Dogs that are not accustomed to the marine environment tend to play and inspect all novelty, from the sand to the waves.

This curiosity would not be a problem if the animals were limited to digging or entertaining themselves with the swing of the tide. Nevertheless, they usually end up trying everything that catches their attention.

Despite choosing clean environments, without common cigarette butts, feces or other dirt, seawater harbors certain hazards that must be considered.

Seawater poisonings

As with people, a small drink of salt water is not dangerous. However, if the amount has been greater, the animal will experience the so-called ‘beach diarrhea’, with the consequent intestinal discomfort.

The milder cases of intoxication usually last a few days in which the animal will feel more apathetic given its discomfort. By contrast, if the water intake has been greater, or for some reason, a severe adverse reaction has occurred, they will occur vomiting, muscle tremors or seizures.

The electrolyte imbalance due to the abundance of sodium present in seawater, can promote a lethargic or confusing state in the animal In this situation, it is advisable to go immediately to the veterinarian.

The presence of toxic algae in the sea is also a risk factor and more without being microscopic. However, although many of them are not seen, they are usually characterized by unpleasant odors that allow them to be identified. Paradoxically, this smell will be precisely the one that attracts the curiosity of the animal to test them.

Venous algae are not just a danger of the sea, because They can be found in lakes, ponds, rivers and even swimming pools of garden with poor cleaning. In case of suspected intake, treatment against ingested toxins should be run by the professional.

Treatment and prevention

The treatment prescribed will depend on the amount of water ingested, the quality and the symptoms presented. Stomach washes will be recommended in the case of toxins. For milder discomforts, the hydration of the animal or the provocation of vomiting may be sufficient.

In the days following the poisoning It is completely normal for the animal to show tiredness or poor appetite. Gastrointestinal discomfort and medication will contribute to such lethargy.

Dog lying in bed

To prevent seawater poisoning dogs should feel hydrated. Promoting drinking water through portable drinking fountains will prevent them from feeling tempted to drink from the sea.

Even so, it is true that curiosity about the environment, intensified by the attractiveness of the waves, will continue to be present. Therefore, if you do not want to remove the animal from its freedom to roam without a leash, It is essential that the owners continuously make sure the status of their pets. In addition, it is recommended that both owners and dogs spend some time together, so as to increase the fatigue of the latter and tend to loiter more quietly.

Getaways to the sea can be an attractive option for pets, as well as being beneficial because it is a natural environment. Being aware of the risks of this place, periodically controlling the animal, will contribute to the experience resulting from the delight of both.

Canine poisoning is a frequent condition given the large number of substances that can cause it, hence the variety of treatments used. Read more “

Continue Reading
You may also like...
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in Pets



To Top