How many cats live? From 8 to 25 years. It all depends on the living conditions, nutrition, breed and genetic predisposition to longevity. In this article, you will learn how many cats live, depending on 6 different factors, how to prolong their life, and what kind of food to choose for this. We will analyze in detail the longevity of cats and cats of different breeds, and answer the frequently asked questions of the owners about the life expectancy of their furry pets. This article will be of interest to all pet lovers, especially cats.
How old are cats?
Believe me, this question is difficult to answer, because there are many nuances. It is difficult to determine how many years cats live on average, because it depends on 5 factors. Even if you take into account all the nuances and calculate the arithmetic average of the 10 most popular breeds in Ukraine, you get the figure of 14 years.
We are talking about domestic cats, and not about their street “brothers” – those rarely fall short of at least 8 years. There are several reasons for this:
- Great competition with other cats and the constant struggle for territory.
- Hunger (especially in winter in sparsely populated towns or villages).
- Predators (cats are hunted by eagles, foxes, wolves, wild dogs).
- Accidents (a cat can be hit by a car or a poisonous snake bite).
- Epidemics and natural disasters.
- Genetics (because wild cats lived for 10-15 years for many hundreds of generations (due to the first 5 reasons), they are not genetically predisposed to longevity).
In this article, we consider how many cats live at home. After all, it is very important for us that you know the life expectancy of your cat and understand how long you can share both joys and woes together. In the end, the cat is another full member of the family!
And what factors influence how many cats live at home? How long does a cat live? British, Maine Coon, Cornish Rex, Sphinx? Read on and find out!
What determines the life span of a cat
It depends on 5 factors:
- Predisposition to chronic diseases, their actual presence or absence.
- Habitat and climate.
Let’s consider each factor in more detail.
Domestic seals are strikingly different from wild fluffy “mafiosi”: in behavior, gait, appearance, proportions of different parts of the body, the length of the coat. But what is the basis of all these external signs? You guessed it – genes. Various sores that can significantly shorten life expectancy are transmitted to them “by inheritance”. These diseases occur in pedigree pets. In order to maintain “purity of blood”, individuals cross with the next of kin.
On the other hand, 4 breeds of domestic cats can boast of iron health:
- Maine Coon.
- Russian blue.
On average, cats of these breeds live from 13 to 21 years.
Cats – Chronic diseases
If the cat suffers from a chronic disease, neither stroking the hosts, nor sweets, nor a cozy ottoman in a warm corner in the kitchen will help him. Unfortunately, diabetes, upper respiratory tract disease, urolithiasis and other diseases shorten the lives of pets.
We have already written about the dangers that await a wild cat at every corner. What about domestic cats? The situation with them is even worse. Leaving for a walk, at first they don’t even realize the danger, since they spent all their childhood in an apartment or house. The instinct of self-preservation is poorly developed. Some cats, for example, do not even suspect that a dog or a stranger can be dangerous.
We do not recommend letting pets go for a walk. It is better to breathe fresh air with her, tied to a leash or harness. By the way, if the kitty is small and light, it can be carried on hands. And recently cat strollers are gaining popularity. In any case, it is better to play it safe and take care of the cat’s safety. Instead of the dictation “ok google, how many years British cats live”, extend the life of your pet with your presence on a walk!
Certain cat breeds may not be suitable for the climate. For example, the Briton is unlikely to enjoy living in Singapore or the Solomon Islands, where it is very stuffy in the summer due to extremely high humidity, and in the winter there are heavy rains all day long. Many pedigree cats are very vulnerable to diseases peculiar only to a specific climate zone (for example, typhoid, malaria, or tropical fever). Therefore, if you decide to move to Thailand for permanent residence and take your Angora cat with you, do not forget to be vaccinated with it.
By the way, living conditions are not only the climate and the environment. It is also the atmosphere in the house. If you often pet a cat, say warm words to her, play with her, entertain, scratch her chin or behind her ear, she will experience positive emotions. This is due to the release of serotonin and other substances into the blood that reduce stress, rejuvenate and prolong life. It is very important that the pet is in an atmosphere of love and care.
Even if the owners do not offend the cat, but they themselves constantly arrange “showdowns” with each other and scream, this causes stress. Such a cat will never become a long-liver. To extend the life of a cat is also to change his character, to establish relations in the family and create an atmosphere of home comfort.
It is very important that the puffy gets the necessary vitamins, micro and macro elements in the right amount and every day. Unbalanced nutrition, fasting or overeating shorten the life span of cats.
Veterinarians are advised to buy ready-made mixes, where all the nutrients are carefully selected. The most reliable brands of cat food:
- NOW Natural.
- Bosch SANABELLE.
- 1st choice.
- Brit Premium.
- Arden Grange.
Ready food is of 2 types:
We recommend alternating dry and wet food, because dry normalizes digestion and heals the oral cavity, and wet – reduces the risk of overeating and prevents the appearance of diseases of the genitourinary system.
It is recommended to give wet food in the morning and in the evening, dry – during the day. Never mix them. Make sure that next to the bowl with food there is another one – with fresh purified water (an artesian one is suitable).
And how much does one serving of food weigh? This is indicated on the packaging of the manufacturer. For example, dry feed gives from 50 to 80 grams per day, depending on the composition.
Dry feed pellets should always be available for the pet. After all, a cat eats up to twenty times a day, but in small portions. This diet is most useful for the cat’s body.
Pedigree cats are finicky in food, so it is best to alternate the tastes and textures of the feed. For example: pate – jelly – sauce – cream soup, etc.
Please note that some substances are not produced by the feline body on its own. It is especially important to receive them with food:
- Vitamin A.
And here is a list of 7 products that can never be fed to domestic cats:
- Raw eggs.
- Raw meat.
Pedigree cats may not have enzymes that are able to break down all the above products. Because of this, indigestion or bowel obstruction can occur. In addition, the composition of raw meat and eggs may include Escherichia coli or Salmonella, and bones can lead to perforation of the gastrointestinal tract in any area and even death. Domestic cats are vulnerable and tender creatures, so watch their diet carefully.
If you are not a supporter of cat food, pamper the cat with products from your table, which contain meat, fiber, vitamins and minerals. Be careful with milk – not all pedigree cats can drink it, as they may not have lactase – a special enzyme for splitting milk.
The cat should receive a set of vitamins and minerals, which she most needs in a particular age. The diet of kittens and adults from 1 to 7 years old varies, and a special diet is selected for pregnant cats. Cats over 7 years old have their own preferences. All this must be taken into account so that the cat lives as long as possible.
How many years do cats live British, Sphynx or Cornish Rex, if they are sterilized? At least 2-3 years longer because the risk of contracting sexually transmitted diseases is completely eliminated. Such diseases do exist in cats, and some of them are deadly.
In addition, after sterilization, the risk of cancer is reduced. Hormonal disruptions that cause stress or a disruption in the functioning of the heart of cats disappear.
On the other hand, sterilization has its drawbacks – the risk of diabetes or overweight. However, if you follow the cat feeding and do not overfeed it, this can be avoided.
How many cats of different breeds live
Unfortunately, it is impossible to accurately answer the question of how many years cats live at home, depending on the breed. In the table below we have provided only average data. However, the influence of other factors that we have listed above can significantly affect the life expectancy of furry animals.
So, consider the average life expectancy of the TOP-20 of the most famous breeds of domestic cats.
|Breed name||Life span, years|
|Petersburg Sphinx (Peterbold)||13-18|
|Scottish Fold (Scottish Fold)||13-17|
And how many cats live by human standards? This interesting and quite funny information can be found in the table below.
|Cat age||Appropriate age of a person|
|1 month||6 months|
|2 months||10 months|
|3 months||2 years|
|6 months||7 years|
|12 months||14 years old|
|2 years||26 years|
|3 years||30 years|
|5 years||41 year|
|8 years||50 years|
|10 years||62 years|
|15 years||74 years|
|18 years||83 years|
|20 years||100 years|
How are such calculations carried out? According to the research of zoologists, at the initial stage of a cat’s life, one year is equal to 7 years of life in humans. At the same time, the first year is equal to 14 years, and the age of 2 years in a cat is already as 25-26 years in humans. Closer to old age, this proportion decreases. After a mark of 10 years, the proportion is already 1: 5. Therefore, the age of 20 years for a cat is like 100 years for a person.
And now the answers to 5 frequently asked questions regarding the life expectancy of cats and cats:
- How many years have cats lived (record)? – The absolute world record was set by kitty Puffy from Texas. She was born on August 3, 1967 and died at the age of 38. Since then, no other cat has yet been able to beat Puffy in terms of life expectancy.
- How many years do exotic cats live? – Individuals of the Persian-Exot breed live from 10 to 20 years, although there is a known case when a cat of this breed has lived to 30 years due to a very expensive diet and proper care.
- How many years have cats lived the most? – It all depends on the breed. According to statistics, the largest centenarians are Siamese cats – they live up to 20 years, and some individuals survived up to 30 years.
- How many years have cats lived without a breed? – Depending on the species, life expectancy is from 7 to 16 years. For example, a forest cat, living in the north of Ukraine and in the Carpathians, lives from 10 to 15 years.
- How many years do cats have a tumor? – This again depends on the nature of the tumor and the age at which the cat was found to be benign or malignant. On average, the cat’s lifespan is reduced by a period of 3–4 months (if the tumor appeared at the age of 10–15 years) to 4–5 years (if it appeared at an early age).
6 tips to extend your cat’s life
You yourself can increase the life span of a cat by following a few simple tips:
- Keep an eye on the cat’s appearance, behavior and well-being. If the fluffy began to eat little, behaves sluggishly – take him to the veterinarian. Especially if the cat has peeling skin. The sick cat becomes inactive, it does not move around the apartment, but lies there all the time. It will not be difficult for you to understand that she is ill, and to react correctly. With age, cats get sick more often, so it is very important to carry them to the doctor at the first suspicion of the disease, even if after the examination it turns out that the anxiety is false.
- Pay attention to the cat, play with it, give her toys in the form of a clockwork mouse or a fluffy worm on a string. The longer the cat moves during the day, the better its hormones and blood supply, the better the immunity and resistance to disease. Such animals will live longer.
- Walk with the cat to protect it from dogs, malevolent people or other cats.
- Sterilize your pet. We already wrote above that in this case, cats and cats will live 3-4 years longer.
- Do not allow too much noise and screams in the house, give your pet love and create an atmosphere of mutual understanding and kindness in the family. Your love and care is the life-giving energy of youth for pussies!
- Choose the right diet and diet according to the age of the pet. How to do this, we wrote in the previous section.
By the way, during repairs in an apartment or in a pet’s house, it is better to take them to relatives. The loud noise of a fallen stepladder or jackhammer can lead to heart failure in cats, especially in thoroughbreds. This should never be allowed.
Now you know how many years cats live on average, what factors affect life expectancy, how many cats live of different breeds, the age of a cat matches the age of a person, and how to extend the life of your pet. We wish you to enjoy life with your cat for many many more long years! Mrrr meow!