Dog hair loss treatment – Naturally, the dog has hair twice a year. The molt lasts about two weeks. Long-haired dogs have to be combed more often than on ordinary days in order to facilitate and control the process of hair loss. However, the pet can lose its coat not only because of the molt but also because of the serious disturbances occurring in the body. Sometimes this symptom may symbolize that your dog may be seriously ill, and it should necessarily look like a veterinarian.
The main causes of hair loss in dogs
In veterinarians, the causes of hair loss are divided into 2 types:
Of course, the specialists do not take into account the period when the dog sheds: this is in no way dangerous for your pet. Only a highly qualified doctor can determine what type of hair loss your dog should be assigned to. To begin, the veterinarian conducts a primary examination, and then, if necessary, sends the animal for additional research.
Only a highly qualified doctor can determine what type of hair loss your dog should be assigned to.
Any dog can get sick of this kind, from a shepherd to a chow-chow.
Dog fur in this case falls not in a certain place, but on different parts of the body.
The following diseases can be the cause of your pet’s unhealthy condition:
- lack of thyroid hormones;
- excess or lack of estrogen;
- impaired growth hormone production;
- excess cortisol.
Additional symptoms of hormonal imbalance in a dog’s body include the following symptoms:
- dull and brittle wool;
- rapid increase in animal weight;
- the skin of balding areas becomes very soft and smooth.
Usually, similar symptoms are observed in sterilized females who have an estrogen deficiency.
Your pet’s hair may start climbing for some non-hormonal reasons.
- the dog suffered a lot of stress, small decorative dogs are often in a similar situation, such breeds as Yorkshire and toy terriers, as well as Chihuahuas, the main stressful situations for all these dogs are moving to another place of residence and change of owner;
- postoperative condition of the animal;
- A pet’s long separation from its owner, a similar factor in most cases also affects small dog breeds, the Pomeranian, yorkies, toy terriers, dachshunds – they all can lose wool due to lack of contact with their owner, such breeds play only the role of companion, which increases the risk of hair loss in such dogs;
- diseases that are not due to hormonal imbalance.
Dog hair has always been considered the mirror of a pet’s health. If it shines and has noticeable thickness, then the dog is completely healthy. But as soon as the appearance of the animal deteriorates, caring owners immediately go with their pets to the veterinary clinic in order to find out why the animal loses wool.
Hormonal failure is not the most common disease that leads to the loss of animal hair. More often meet precisely those diseases and disorders in the body that are in no way associated with the work of hormones.
Hormonal failure is not the most common disease that leads to the loss of animal hair.
- improper diet, this is probably the most popular cause of hair loss, as well as in long-haired and short-haired breeds, besides, it is worth considering that no matter how dry food (or natural food) was not complete, the dog should definitely be added to his vitamins, if they are, of course, not already added to the brand, usually dog wool climbs due to lack of vitamin B;
- the presence of parasites, they include fleas, ticks and eaters and helminths, the fact is that all these microorganisms feed on a living organism and violate many internal processes in it, they can be “picked up” almost everywhere, including flat, fleas and lashing more common in long-haired breeds: Chow Chow, Pekingese, the main areas of their location: the inner part of the paws, muzzle, thighs, tail, inner part of the ear;
- the appearance of ringworm, this disease belongs to infectious diseases, and it is caused by a fungus belonging to the family Microsporum, the main signs of this disease are broken hair and reddened skin, ringworm in exhibition breeds, for example, in a poodle, causes a lot of trouble for dog breeders disregarding the fact that the fungus itself is very contagious, not only for other animals, but also for man himself;
- allergic reactions, the main cause of allergies in dogs is improper nutrition or increased sensitivity in an animal to any food allergen, an allergic reaction is manifested in almost everyone, but it is most common in Shar-Pei, pugs and the French bulldog, very rarely the cause food: dry food often leads to itching and hair loss;
- decreased immunity, in this case, dog hair climbs all over the body, the protective properties of the animal’s body may be reduced due to the recent transfer of any disease or infection.
In some cases, not quite correct care of the dog leads to the fact that the dog’s hair begins to fall out strongly. In no case should not use shampoos and conditioners designed for human hair. All necessary cosmetics should be purchased only at pet stores.
Methods of dealing with hair loss in dogs
After the pet is examined by a veterinarian and diagnoses his illness, a course of treatment is prescribed, which is aimed at combating the main cause of the disease. Sometimes, to eliminate infectious and fungal diseases in dogs, scraping is taken with a special scotch. Such a tool is very convenient to do the material sampling at Shar Pei or pug.
The problem with parasites is solved mainly with the help of droplets that can destroy ticks, block, and lashing.
If it turns out that the animal has a hormonal failure, then after passing the appropriate tests, the dog is prescribed hormonal preparations that can normalize hormonal background. With non-hormonal causes, the course of treatment will be completely different. For example, if the loss of wool is associated with unhealthy pet food, then in its diet, unsuitable products are replaced with new ingredients. If you have food allergies, you should think about changing the brand of finished feed.
The problem with parasites is solved mainly with the help of droplets that can destroy ticks, fleas and eaters. Helminths disappear after completing a full course of deworming. Sometimes veterinarians recommend using complex drugs that can at one time save a dog from all types of microorganisms, including worm eggs and flea larvae. Such medicines (Lawyer, Stronghold) can be used by dog owners, both in treating dogs for parasites and for their prevention.
Excess Dog Shedding? 5 Effective Remedies
With a decrease in immunity veterinarian appointed immuno-stimulants. In the future, to avoid immunodeficiency, it is necessary to feed your pet with vitaminized complexes. If your dog belongs to show breeds, then it additionally needs to add a feed additive to food that enhances the growth of animal hair and improves their appearance. Such medicines are created by the manufacturer BioradixLabs. The name of the drug itself is Kino3: it is fully certified in the territory of the Russian Federation.
Also need to be careful with antibiotics. It is necessary to take only those drugs that are prescribed directly by a veterinarian. They are especially effective during the treatment of fungal and infectious diseases, such as ringworm. As a preventive measure for unnatural hair loss in your dog, regularly check the animal’s hair for fleas and ticks. Also, be careful to ensure that no dirt accumulates in your pet’s ears, and promptly clean out all secretions appearing in the organs of hearing.